Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Women of FanFic...

I am quick to admit that I am a newcomer to the fandom. Hell, I only read my first Twific back in May, so I'm still cutting my fic teeth.

The first fic I read was by LolaShoes, "Let Your Light Shine" and I immediately read the sequel, "A Life Extraordinary". From there I started scouring popular authors' favorite lists to find new fics to read.

In my search I came across lesser known (to me) fics. Fics like "Legacy", "Horizons", and "Teacher's Pet" (Which I have rec-ed on this blog). I fully intended to be entertained by these silly works of fiction. What I didn't expect, was to come to deeply respect and care for their authors, but I have done just that.

You should know that I have out of this world Real Life friends. They support, love, and put up with my crazy ass. I love spending every possible moment with those fleshy peeps of mine. I'm a BIG hugger, so I love to lavish them with hugs! There's nothing like looking at your bestie and not having to say a word, they just get you! Scary, or should I say, amazingly enough, I have come to feel the same about a group of women whom I have never met, but I hope and pray that will someday change.

I think we are all pretty clear about how I feel about my Darth Beta, Dizzygrl28. The simplest way to say it is that I love her. She not only fixes my messes, but she never laughs at my stupid mistakes, she scours the Interwebs for the perfect song for my chappies, she laughs with me, she celebrates with me, and she talks me off of bridges. I am doing everything in my power to meet this woman next year. If for no other reason but to thank her personally for what she has done for me. She has given me confidence and wings. She is my biggest cheerleader and yet, she lurks in the background. I can't wait to give her the biggest hug when I finally stand before her. Consider yourself warned, Mel!

While I adore Dizzy, I have come to understand that the way we feel about our fic relationship isn't exclusive to the two of us. Most authors feel this way about their betas. I love that idea! But I have come to associate with a circle of ladies that I feel strongly about as well. Some are readers, women who have reached out in a review or PM and we struck up a friendship. Others are fellow writers, women whose fics I have read and written to them, and they responded to my reviews. I'd like to mention these ladies now.

There's Cutest, (AKA Bqotfu or Bbetica) who happens to live about 340 miles away and in the same state as I do. Cutest writes the most amazing CSI-esque fics: "Crime Scene Denials & Forensic Anglels" and most recently "Blindsided". She has quickly become my "ficsis" (think Fic + Sis). We are so much alike, and have spent many hours chatting away on GChat about our fics and out RLs. I do believe she may just be the cutest thing I haven't met. Yet. ;) (soon, bb, soon!)

There's my own Personal Pirate, AD76 (AKA AutumnDreamer, Legacyff) Who writes "Legacy". This woman is the yen to my yang. She is every bit as crazy as I am, and maybe even more. I love that she doesn't mince words and "takes no crap". Not only do I respect AD's work, as she is an amazing author, but I respect her opinion as well. She is the first to tell me if something isn't working or needs to be tweaked, (well, after Dizzy, that is). Both Cutest and AD are pre-readers for Ride, and I'm sure you'll recognize their pen names from my A/Ns. Their input and opinions are invaluable to me! Thanks, ladies! I lub u crazy kids!

Then there's Lee723. Lee/Lisa/Twinsie/Crazy Ass. She's known by all these names. Lee is a reader and someone who makes my days easier to deal with. She tweets me throughout the day with crazy, funny comments and always brings a smile to my face. We, also have found quite a few similarities in one another, thus the Wonder Twins. We believe that we are twins separated at birth, although I was clearly born thirteen years before her. Gaw, did I really just admit that? Eeeep! You complete me, Twinisie!

Enter Megsly07. Meg! This is my time to go fangirl! Meg writes "Through Your Eyes", "Horizons", "A Dark Horizon", and "Boxing the Compass" among others. Meg can bring me from hysterical laughter to snotsobbing tears, in the same chapter. This woman, in conjunction with Cutest, has made it her personal mission to beat the ever loving wussperve out of me. (Wussperv=someone who fears the angst=me) Lately she's been pulling me into her GDocs and letting me see the master at work. It's truly humbling. Her comedic timing and sick perversion for all things heartfail have endeared her to me. One day, when she doesn't have so much crap on her plate, she may even read MY fic. Haha! Kidding, Meg. Kidding. <3

I would also like to mention a few ladies who leave amazing, constructive reviews and who twitter with me throughout the day. Janiiith, TwiChicky, TwilightMundi, and recently Breakawaygirl25. You ladies encourage me more than you will ever know, and it is a pleasure to say that I "know" you. Thanks for reading and investing in this little Ride of mine! ;)

So those are my TwiGirls! Each amazing women in their own rights, but as a collective whole, these ladies inspire and encourage me, making me want to be not only a better author, but a better person. Thank you, lovlies! Big fleshy hugs to each of you!

Be sure to check out these ladies' fics. They are ALL amazing!


Liz loves you FOREVER!!!

4 comments:

  1. *tackles & hugs you* ILY! I'm so glad we got squished together; I think we make a pretty damn good team. :) You've quickly become one of my fav Tweeples and Sissykin and we WILL meet someday! I vow to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so sweet! I'm really glad I "met" you through Dizzy too. I love chatting with people who like the same things and unfortunately I don't know anyone who is as crazy for Twilight as me except for my fun and crazy girls online. Would love to finally meet everyone sometime, preferably when we can all drool over Rob and Jackson. ;-p *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ficsis, I feel the same exact way about you and all the lovely ladies that I have become friends with. I'm certain that we will all meet someday and it will be beyond EPIC!

    Thank you for all your support and being such an amazing ficsis.

    Con mucho cariƱo,

    B

    ReplyDelete